MCP9600 Thermocouple Amplifier Breakout
This top-of-the-range MCP9600 thermocouple amplifier breakout works with eight different thermocouple types, has built-in temperature alerts, is compatible with Raspberry Pi, Arduino.
Thermocouples are temperature probes that are ideally suited for more industrial use where durability and tolerance of extreme conditions are required, like ovens or freezers. The stainless steel K-type thermocouples can withstand and measure temperatures from -200°C to over 800°C (in testing) when used with the MCP9600.
The MCP9600 works with K, J, T, N, S, E, B, and R-type thermocouples, has built-in cold-junction compensation, four configurable temperature alerts, and sturdy screw terminals to connect your thermocouple.
Please Note: You'll also need to grab a thermocouple to go with this breakout
- MCP9600 thermocouple amplifier
- Compatible with K, J, T, N, S, E, B, and R-type thermocouples
- Four configurable temperature alerts
- Hot/cold-junction resolution: 0.0625°C
- Hot-junction accuracy: ±1.5°C
- 3.3V or 5V compatible
- I2C interface, with address select via ADDR cuttable trace (0x38 or 0x39)
- Reverse polarity protection
- Compatible with Arduino
- Raspberry Pi-compatible pinout (pins 1, 3, 5, 7, 9)
- Compatible with Raspberry Pi 3B+, 3, 2, B+, A+, Zero, and Zero W
- MCP9600 thermocouple amplifier breakout
- 1x5 male header
- 1x5 female right angle header
Pimoroni have put together a Python library that you can use to read data from your MCP9600 Thermocouple Amplifier Breakout, and an easy one-line installer to install everything.
Software does not support Raspbian Wheezy.
The screw terminals are marked + and - but it won't damage your thermocouple or the breakout itself if you connect your thermocouple's wires up the wrong way round. Some thermocouples will have coloured wires (red (+) and blue/black (-)) but some won't. You'll quickly be able to tell if it's connected the wrong way round because the temperature will move in reverse! Just flip the wires round and you'll be in business!