Adjustable 4-12V Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S18V20ALV
This powerful step-up/step-down regulator efficiently produces an adjustable 4 V to 12 V output from input voltages between 3 V and 30 V while allowing a typical output current of up to 2 A when the input voltage is close to the output voltage and offering typical efficiencies of 80% to 90%. Its ability to convert both higher and lower input voltages makes it useful for applications where the power supply voltage can vary greatly, as with batteries that start above but discharge below the regulated voltage.
The flexibility in input voltage offered by these regulators is especially well-suited for battery-powered applications in which the battery voltage begins above the desired output voltage and drops below the target as the battery discharges. Without the typical restriction on the battery voltage staying above the required voltage throughout its life, new battery packs and form factors can be considered. For example:
- A 4-cell battery holder, which might have a 6 V output with fresh alkalines or a 4.0 V output with partially discharged NiMH cells, can be used with the 5V version of this regulator to power a 5 V circuit.
- A disposable 9 V battery powering a 5V circuit can be discharged to under 3 V instead of cutting out at 6 V, as with typical linear or step-down regulators.
- The 6V version of this regulator can be used to enable a wide range of power supply options for a hobby servo project.
- Input voltage: 2.9 V to 32 V
- Output adjustable from 4V to 12V
- Typical maximum continuous output current: 2A (when input voltage is close to the output voltage; the Typical Efficiency and Output Current section in the resources tab shows how the achievable continuous output current depends on input and output voltages)
- Integrated reverse-voltage protection (up to 30V), over-current protection, over-temperature shutoff, and under-voltage lockout
- Typical efficiency of 80% to 90%, depending on input voltage, output voltage, and load
- Four mounting holes for #2 or M2 screws
- Compact size: 1.7"— 0.825"— 0.41" (48 x 15 x 10.5 mm)
- Smaller holes for 0.1" header pins and larger holes for terminal blocks offer several options for connecting to the board
32 V is the absolute maximum operating voltage; the recommended maximum operating voltage is 30 V, which is the limit of the reverse voltage protection.