4.5-20V Fine-Adjust Step-Up Voltage Regulator U3V70A
This powerful synchronous switching boost regulator efficiently generates a finely adjustable output voltage between 4.5V to 20V from an input voltage as low as 2.9V while using an input current as high as 8A. This regulator features reverse voltage protection, and unlike most boost regulators, it offers a true shutdown option that turns off power to the load.
The U3V70x boost (step-up) voltage regulators are high-current, high-efficiency synchronous switching regulators that generate higher output voltages from input voltages as low as 2.9V. The regulators actively limit the instantaneous input currents to 10A and the input current can typically be as high as 8A for several seconds before the thermal protection activates. Input currents of around 6A can typically be maintained for minutes without triggering thermal shutdown, though the actual performance depends on the input and output voltages as well as external factors such as ambient temperature and airflow. For boost regulators, the output current equals the input current times the efficiency times the ratio of VIN to VOUT, so the more you are boosting, the lower the maximum output current will be.
These regulators feature a variety of built-in protections, including reverse voltage protection to keep your load safe in the event power is accidentally connected backward, and unlike most boost regulators, these units offer a true shutdown option that turns off power to the load (with typical boost regulators, the input voltage will pass directly through to the output when they are disabled).
- Input voltage: 2.9 V to VOUT
- Output voltage: 4.5 V to 20 V (precision-adjustable using built-in 12-turn potentiometer)
- True shutdown option turns off power to the load
- Typical efficiency of 80% to 95%, depending on input voltage, output voltage, and load
- 10 A switch allows for:
- Instantaneous input currents up to 10 A
- Input currents up to 8 A for several seconds
- Input currents around 6 A to 7 A for prolonged durations, depending on input voltage and output voltage
- low quiescent current for most combinations of input and output voltages (but it rises significantly boosting from under 3.5 V to over 13 V)
- Integrated protections:
- Reverse voltage protection
- Short-circuit protection with hiccup recovery
- Over-temperature shutoff
- Under-voltage lockout (typical thresholds are 2.4 V falling, 2.8 V rising)
- Cycle-by-cycle input current limiting to 10 A
- Compact size: 1.6″ × 0.6″ × 0.22″ (40.6 × 15.2 × 5.5 mm)
- Weight: 3.9 g
- Two mounting holes for #2 or M2 screws
- Smaller holes for 0.1″ header pins and larger holes for terminal blocks offer several options for connecting to the board